Explore the information below to learn more about your new service.
Trash is collected weekly. Recycling is collected every other week.
- Trash service includes weekly collection with a cart. If you have extra trash that won't fit in your cart, see the section called "Extra/Oversize Trash" for instructions.
- Residential trash service is for normal household trash and does not include construction and/or remodeling debris.
- Be sure to follow waste acceptance guidelines carefully.
- Please bag all your trash, even if you have a cart. This helps ensure we can contain the trash when it’s being dumped.
- Double bag loose waste like kitty litter, animal waste, sawdust, ashes, insulation and packing peanuts.
- Place long items like broom handles, curtain rods, etc. on the ground beside the trash.
- Please limit weight of the trash in your cart to 200 pounds or less and limit your trash bags to 30 gallons or less and 30 pounds or less.
For more information on why you have a collection day, not a collection time, read our blog post.
If you have more bags of trash than fit in your cart or items too large to put in your cart, like furniture or appliances, Granger is happy to dispose of these items. However, you must call the City of Marshall at 269-558-0800 ahead of time to pay for and schedule service of these items.
Recycling is collected every other week using your Curby Recycler cart (with the yellow lid).
- Recyclables do not need to be sorted.
- Do not bag recyclables. Put them loose in your recycling cart (Curby Recycler).
- Accepted items include cardboard; plastic bottles, tubs, jugs and containers; mixed paper; metal cans and aluminum; boxboard; and clear and colored glass. Items that are not accepted may be left. More specific recycling guidelines and a collection calendar can be found here (Marshall east), here (Marshall west) and here (Marshall south).
- Be sure your cart and bags are not obstructed or buried by snow.
- Keep your cart out of the street to avoid any plow truck casualties.
- Make sure your cart can be closed all the way so snow and rain can't get in. This will help keep the contents from freezing. Whenever trash is frozen to the container, we may have trouble emptying all of it.
- Remember that uncontrollable weather situations, such as steep grades that are icy or snowy, dirt roads that become very icy, lack of turnaround space due to areas not plowed, very low wind chill factor, reduced visibility due to blizzard conditions or freezing rain or closed or unplowed roads with deep snow, may affect our ability to service your account.
Occasionally, your trash or recycling won’t get picked up on your collection day. There may be a good reason for the delay, such as not being out when the truck was at your house or a holiday or weather delay, but it could be a mistake on our part.
In most cases, we won’t be able to return to your house that week, but we’ll be happy to pick up any extras on your next collection day. If you’re not sure why your collection was missed or can’t wait until the next collection, please contact us.
For more information, read our blog post.
- We will begin delivering carts on March 8. If you have opted to have recycling service, you will receive a cart for trash (with a brown lid) and a cart for recycling (with a yellow lid). It will take several weeks to deliver carts to all Marshall residents.
- All carts are the property of Granger, but are yours to use for the duration of your service with us. That’s good news for you because it means that if your cart is damaged due to our actions or normal wear and tear, we’ll replace it.
- Please note that personal containers should not be used for trash or recycling.
- When you first receive your cart, you may notice that the lid does not close completely. This is a result of the way carts are stored and transported and is only temporary. The lid will return to its normal position after a few days.
For more on cart placement, see our blog post.
Just like anything else that holds trash, carts can get smelly. Please don’t ask us to replace your cart because it smells. Bagging all your trash and cleaning the cart periodically will help with odor issues.
You will be billed for your service by the City of Marshall. Please direct all billing questions to the City at 269-558-0800 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the holiday falls on a weekday, services on and after the holiday will run one day behind for the remainder of the week. If the holiday falls on a weekend, there will be no delay to service.
Granger observes the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
When that happens, we will do our best to notify you by phone or email and will be happy to pick up any extras you have on your next scheduled collection day.
In very rare cases of extreme weather conditions, we may cancel service completely for the day and push collections to the following day. When this happens, we will post updates on our website and Facebook page.
Our story began more than 50 years ago.
We remain engaged in the communities we serve.
Read our blog for tips, news and other useful information.
Follow us on Facebook!