Welcome to Granger!
We're excited to begin providing service to you. To help make the transition smooth, we have a few things to share with you.
Explore the information below to learn more about your new service. Please note, all information on this page may not apply for those in communities which have contracted with Granger for services.
- Residential trash service is for normal household trash and does not include construction and/or remodeling debris.
- Be sure to follow waste acceptance guidelines carefully.
- Please bag all your trash, even if you have a cart. This helps ensure we can contain the trash when it’s being dumped.
- Double bag loose waste like kitty litter, animal waste, sawdust, ashes, insulation and packing peanuts.
- Place long items like broom handles, curtain rods, etc. on the ground beside the trash.
- Please limit weight of the trash in your cart to 200 pounds or less and limit your trash bags to 30 gallons or less and 30 pounds or less.
However, due to various factors, we can’t guarantee that your trash, recycling or yard waste will be picked up at the same time every week. The best way to ensure it is collected is to put it out the night before your scheduled collection day.
For more information on why you have a collection day, not a collection time, read our blog post.
If you just have a little extra trash, you can put it out on collection day. Please note that any bags over and above your bag limit and any non-bagged items placed outside your cart may incur additional charges.
For a large volume of extra trash or for items that are too large to fit in your cart, consider these options:
- Bulk item collection is available in some areas. Collection should be scheduled ahead of time and will include an extra charge. Find out more here.
- Large temporary containers are available in much of our service territory for large cleanup, remodeling and construction projects. Find out more here.
- Granger operates three Disposal Centers for self-hauling of trash and large item disposal. For directions, pricing and hours, go to our self-haul page.
Recycling collection (curbside with a cart or blue bag) is available in limited areas. If you are interested in adding recycling, please complete the request service form to confirm service is available at your address.
- Recyclables do not need to be sorted.
- Do not bag recyclables. Put them loose in your recycling cart (Curby Recycler).
- Follow the specific recycling guidelines for your area. Items that are not accepted may be left. Find recycling guidelines for your area here.
Yard waste collection is available in limited areas. If you are interested in adding yard waste, please complete the request service form to confirm service is available at your address.
- Yard waste will only be collected in a Granger yard waste cart, paper yard waste bags or small bundles. No personal containers are allowed.
- Brush and tree trimmings should be no longer than 4′ and less than 2″ in diameter. Tie with string or twine into 12″ bundles.
- Animal waste, rocks, dirt, sod, plastic and other trash should not be mixed in with yard waste.
- Limit the weight of your cart to 200 lbs. Paper yard waste bags should not weigh more than 30 lbs.
- Be sure your cart and bags are not obstructed or buried by snow.
- Keep your cart out of the street to avoid any plow truck casualties.
- Make sure your cart can be closed all the way so snow and rain can't get in. This will help keep the contents from freezing. Whenever trash is frozen to the container, we may have trouble emptying all of it.
- Remember that uncontrollable weather situations, such as steep grades that are icy or snowy, dirt roads that become very icy, lack of turnaround space due to areas not plowed, very low wind chill factor, reduced visibility due to blizzard conditions or freezing rain or closed or unplowed roads with deep snow, may affect our ability to service your account.
If you are going to be gone from your home for more than two consecutive weeks, you can put your service on hold while you're gone. This is generally used by those who spend a significant portion of the year somewhere else, such as Florida or Arizona.
To put your service on hold, please fill out the Put My Service on Hold form at least three business days before you wish to start holding your service.
When you are getting ready to return, you will need to fill out the Resume Service form at least a week before you wish to start receiving service again.
Occasionally, your trash, recycling or yard waste won’t get picked up on your collection day. There may be a good reason for the delay, such as not being out when the truck was at your house or a holiday or weather delay, but it could be a mistake on our part.
In most cases, we won’t be able to return to your house that week, but we’ll be happy to pick up any extras on your next collection day. If you’re not sure why your collection was missed or can’t wait until the next collection, please contact us.
For more information, read our blog post.
- All carts are the property of Granger, but are yours to use for the duration of your service with us. That’s good news for you because it means that if your cart is damaged due to our actions or normal wear and tear, we’ll replace it.
- Please note that non-commercial grade carts, barrels or other containers are not meant to withstand weekly use and Granger cannot be responsible for damage to these personal containers.
- When you first receive your cart, you may notice that the lid does not close completely. This is a result of the way carts are stored and transported and is only temporary. The lid will return to its normal position after a few days.
For more on cart placement, see our blog post.
Just like anything else that holds trash, carts can get smelly. Please don’t ask us to replace your cart because it smells. Bagging all your trash and cleaning the cart periodically will help with odor issues.
|Fee Description||Fee Amount|
|Returned Payment Fee||$30|
|Cart Not Returned Upon Cancellation of Service||$100|
|Cart Exchange Due to Customer Damage||$100|
|Account Reactivation after Closure for Nonpayment||$30|
|Cart Removal Fee upon Account Closure||$40|
Spend even less time thinking about your trash service when you use this convenient payment method! With autopay, your card is automatically charged when your bill is due. To sign up, give us a call at 1-888-947-2643.
Online Bill Pay
You can pay your bill quickly and conveniently using our Customer Portal.
Be sure to make your check out to Granger Waste and write your Granger account number in the memo. Send your check to: P.O. Box 22213, Lansing, MI 48909-22213.
Call our office at 517-372-2800 or 1-888-947-2643 to pay your bill over the phone.
If the holiday falls on a weekday, services on and after the holiday will run one day behind for the remainder of the week. If the holiday falls on a weekend, there will be no delay to service.
Granger observes the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
When that happens, we will do our best to notify you by phone or email and will be happy to pick up any extras you have on your next scheduled collection day.
In very rare cases of extreme weather conditions, we may cancel service completely for the day and push collections to the following day. When this happens, we will post updates on our website and Facebook page.
Our story began more than 50 years ago.
We remain engaged in the
communities we serve.
Read our blog for tips, news and other useful information.
Follow us on Facebook!