Associate Director Program
The Associate Director Program was established in 2019. This program allows the next generation of Grangers to significantly develop professional skills and understand the family business from the Director's chair.
Associate Directors (ADs) are given a unique opportunity to enhance their professional skills from what is typically an exclusive and private environment within the corporate world—the boardroom.
Participants will spend two years as non-voting members of the Granger Waste Services Inc. Board of Directors and learn firsthand the skills needed to successfully perform and contribute as a Director as vacancies occur in the future.
While serving, Associate Directors participate in critical thinking, decision-making, communication, leadership and other professional development activities.
Candidates must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- At least 28 years old
- Descendants (or spouses of descendants) of Ron or Jerry Granger
Responsibilities & Expectations for Associate Directors
- The 2023-2024 cohort will serve from the first board meeting of 2023 through the last board meeting of 2024. (See calendar for meeting schedule.)
- Attend quarterly and special board meetings
- Orientation will be held on the day of the first scheduled board meeting in 2023.
- Although in-person meetings are strongly encouraged, ADs who live more than 150 miles from Granger headquarters have the option to participate in meetings by video conference for three out of four regular board meetings per year.
- Actively engage by asking questions and providing insight during board meetings
- Complete assignments or contribute to projects as assigned by your mentor
- Maintain Confidentiality
- Keep the same confidentiality of board information as regular Directors
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Attend seminars, workshops or read literature as designated by your mentor or the Chairman
- Interested candidates should submit applications by October 28, 2022.
- All applications will be reviewed by the Governance Committee of the Board.
- The Governance Committee will conduct virtual interviews with each qualified applicant.
- At the December board meeting, the Governance Committee will nominate a maximum of two candidates to be in the 2023-2024 cohort. The board will vote.
- Selected candidates will be notified before December 31.
Granger Waste Services, Inc. Board of Directors
- Board meetings are held quarterly at Granger’s home office in Lansing, unless noted otherwise.
- Special board meetings may be added (and sometimes on short notice), but attendance for special meetings is typically virtually and will be considered optional for ADs.
- Regular board meetings are typically in session from 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM EST.
|March 1-2||Regular Board of Directors Meeting
Annual Shareholder Meeting
|Apirl 30-May 2 or May 17||WasteExpo*
Regular Board of Directors Meeting
New Orleans, LA
|September 14||Regular Board of Directors Meeting
|December 13||Regular Board of Directors Meeting
|March 6-7||Regular Board of Directors Meeting
Annual Shareholder Meeting
|May 15||Regular Board of Directors Meeting|
|September 18||Regular Board of Directors Meeting
|December 11||Regular Board of Directors Meeting
*WasteExpo is the national industry conference. The board is still evaluating if they will travel to New Orleans, or keep the regular scheduled meeting in Lansing on May 17.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do ADs get paid?
ADs do not receive financial compensation; however, they do receive reimbursement for all reasonably incurred travel expenses in performing their duties.
- Do ADs get to vote?
No. ADs do not having voting rights and will be excluded from Executive Sessions, but are encouraged to actively participate in board meetings and all other correspondences while they are serving.
- How many ADs are in each cohort?
There will be no more than two Associate Director positions authorized to serve on the Board at any one time.
- What happens if there is a vacant position?
Vacant AD positions will be filled as deemed necessary. ADs may be appointed from a pool of qualified applicants who were previously interviewed or from new qualified applicants.
- Can an AD participate in the program multiple times?
ADs may not serve consecutive terms, but may be considered for a later second term, depending on qualifications and demand of applicants. We recommend that ADs continue to strengthen their skills by getting other board experience and remaining connected with their mentor.
- Is it possible for me to serve as a Director for Granger Waste Services without completing the Associate Director Program?
Completing the Associate Director Program is not a requirement for becoming a Director. Graduating from the program does not guarantee the individual will be selected to serve on the Board of Directors.
- What are the types of topics discussed and decisions made by the Board of Directors?
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Approving budgets for the company
- Approving purchases that exceed the CEO’s discretionary spending limit, such as an acquisition purchase or out-of-budget capital expense (e.g., garbage truck)
- Supporting the company’s future growth by advising leadership on acquisition strategies and negotiations
- Providing constructive feedback to leadership on current and proposed financial and non-financial investments, such as sales and marketing strategies, technology initiatives, personnel and human resource philosophies
- Ensuring the needs and expectations of the shareholders are being met or exceeded
If you have additional questions, please contact program administrator, Rachael Abood, at [email protected].
Attend a Virtual Information Session!
Join an upcoming virtual informational session to learn more about the program. You’ll hear from CEO (and uncle to some) Keith Granger, Governance & Nominating Chair Bill Goodspeed and the current ADs. Attendees will also have the opportunity to ask specific questions.
Information Session Dates:
- Monday, Oct. 10 15: 7 PM ET
- Tuesday, Oct. 11: 7 PM ET
RSVP for a session of your choice by emailing Rachael Abood, at [email protected]. Please RSVP by by Friday, October 7.
The Associate Director Program’s purpose is to:
- Educate and develop the next generation of Granger family members for future Board of Directors participation
- Ensure high-quality family board members are primed for the long term
- Provide a structure for ensuring that potential next generation members of the Board of Directors receive adequate preparation to perform successfully and contribute significantly
The goal of the Associate Director Program is to:
Identify and develop at least two qualified full directors for potential service on the board (as vacancies occur) within six to 10 years (of 2021), as well as provide a pipeline of qualified potential directors for the longer term.
Hear What Our Current ADs Have to Say
“The Granger Associate Director Program has been a great experience for me. As someone who works outside the company, this program has allowed me to become immersed in the inner-workings of Granger; forming relationships with board members and witnessing how a well-run company responds to challenges. This program is valuable to all 4th Generation family members not only to learn about how things work, but to start envisioning how we can become good stewards of the company in the future. From my first board meeting as an AD, I’ve felt that my opinion was valued. The board both needs and wants to hear from the 4th Generation, so I would encourage anyone who wants to contribute to apply.”
Graduating Member of the 2021-22 Term
“For those of you wondering if Granger is something you might want to be a part of someday or maybe you’re interested in learning more about the company and gaining first-hand experience. This is the opportunity you’ve been waiting for!
You’ll have the privilege to learn from some of the brightest minds in the industry. Along with one-on-one mentorship, someone you can go to with questions and advice pertaining to Granger as well as help you with your own personal and professional development.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!”
Graduate of Inaugural Program
“Fellow G4 Family Members,
I would like to encourage each of you to consider applying for the Associate Director program at Granger. Wherever you may find yourself in your career, this is a program that allows you the unique opportunity of being above the fray and a part of a broad decision-making process at an executive level. I have found that the meetings and subsequent communications with my mentor have helped bring perspective and meaning to the decisions I make in my daily role while allowing me the opportunity to see the effect a Board of Directors can have on a business.
If you are going to participate, know that this is not a ‘sit back and watch’ type of program. To get value out of this opportunity, you will be encouraged to ask questions and be an active participant in board discussions. During my time in the program, despite having to play catch up to understand all the material, there was ample time to ask questions and get quality feedback on any thoughts that we expressed.
As you consider applying, I would like to stress that as family members, Granger will always play a major role in all of our lives and being in this program will only further your perspective on the business as well as your own career.”
Graduate of Inaugural Program