We live by the Golden Rule—treating our customers the way we like to be treated—with integrity, courtesy and respect. Have a question? We’re here to help!
Quick Support Solutions
Frequently Asked Questions
- General Information
- Pricing/Billing/Payment Information
- General Recycling Information
- 1. Which holidays will affect my service?08.02.16
Granger recognizes the following major holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
All Granger offices and operations are closed for these holidays. If the holiday falls on a weekday, services on and after the holiday will run one day behind for the remainder of the week. If the holiday falls on a weekend, there will be no delay to service.
- 2. What should I do if my cart breaks?28.03.17
Luckily, having cart service with Granger means your cart will be replaced free of charge in most cases. If your cart is in need of repair, contact us and we’ll deliver another cart to you on our next delivery day.
- 3. What should I do if my cart smells? Can I get a replacement?28.03.17
Your Curby cart is bound to smell less than pleasant at some point. That’s what happens when you put trash in something. Though we don’t replace carts because they smell, we have a few suggestions for keeping your cart smelling fresher:
- Bag all your trash. This will help keep your cart cleaner.
- Partially fill the cart with water and add some bleach and let it sit for a day or two. Scrub and clean. The bleach will soak into the plastic and it will help to sanitize the cart.
- Power wash it. We know some of you out there love an excuse to use the power washer.
- Put a few moth balls in the bottom of the cart after every service. This helps with smells and also with keeping those pesky critters at bay. Of course, if you hate the smell of moth balls, we don’t recommend this option.
- 4. What if my cart disappears?28.03.17
If you know you are paid up on your bill, we probably didn’t take your cart. And as unlikely as it may seem, carts do get stolen occasionally. If your cart comes up missing, use our cart request form.
- 5. What should I do if there’s trash in my cart that isn’t mine?28.03.17
Once in a while, you may find that one of your neighbors is putting trash in your cart. And although it might be fun to play detective for a while, unfortunately, our customer service representatives and drivers can’t track down the culprit for you. If you happen to find some evidence (like a piece of mail with a name and address on it) in your trash, contact your local police department.
- 6. Do you offer incentives for referring customers?08.02.16
Yes. Residential customers with weekly trash service are eligible to receive a free month of trash service when they refer others who sign up for service. The new customer must mention the referring customer when signing up for service.
- 7. How do I reserve a pavilion at Granger Meadows Park?13.04.16
- 8. How does Granger get involved in the community?
- 9. What are the terms of my Granger service?14.07.20
For information on terms and conditions, please visit our Terms and Conditions page.
- 1. Where can I find prices for your services?13.04.16
Due to a number of variables, it's difficult for us to post pricing on our website. However, we'd be happy to give you a price quote. Just fill out the Request Service form and customer service will respond with a no-obligation quote for service. If you would prefer to request pricing over the phone or via email, you can do so by calling 1-888-947-2643 or [email protected].
- 2. When is my bill due?
- 3. How do you create an account in the Customer Portal?03.02.23
The first time you use the Portal, you will need to set up an account using your account number and service address. Once you have done this, you will create a username and password you will use to log in to the Portal on future visits. You will not need your account number after the initial setup.
- 4. I previously used your Account Manager. Can I use the same credentials to log in to the new Customer Portal?03.02.23
The Customer Portal is a completely different system, so you will not be able to use your old credentials. You will need to set up an account before using the Customer Portal for the first time.
- 5. Can I pay my bill using my bank account through the Customer Portal?03.02.23
Currently in the Customer Portal, you can only pay your bill using a credit card. However, the ability to pay your bill using your bank account will be available in the Portal in the near future.
- 6. What can I use the Customer Portal for?03.02.23
The Customer Portal can be used for the following useful activities and more:
- Viewing your amount due
- Paying your bill
- Seeing old invoices and payments
- Viewing services and route schedule
Additional features, including setting up and making changes to your autopay, are on their way soon.
- 7. What do I do if I forget my password for the Customer Portal?03.02.23
If you forget your password for the Customer Portal, click the “Forgot your password?” link below the login to be sent a link to reset your password. We will not be able to retrieve your password for you.
- 8. How do I access the Customer Portal?03.02.23
You can access the Customer Portal here. You may want to bookmark it for future use. You can also access the Portal from any page on our website by clicking on the Customer Portal link at the top right corner of each page on our website (next to the Request Service button).
- 9. How can I pay my bill?14.07.20
There are several convenient ways to pay your Granger bill.
- Sign up for our automated bill payment, Curby Quick Pay. We’ll keep your card on file and it will be automatically charged each time your bill is due.
- Set up an account in our convenient Customer Portal. You will need your account number and service address. Once your account is set up, you can pay bills, view invoices and your service schedule and much more!
- Use our automated phone payment system by calling 1-888-947-2643 and following the prompts. You’ll need your account number and invoice number.
- Mail your payment to Granger, P.O. Box 2213, Lansing, MI 48906-22213.
- 10. Can I pay my bill in person?14.07.20
Granger has no on-site payment centers. We ask that you pay your bill in the one of the convenient ways listed above.
- 11. Why are there three monthly charges on my bill?25.05.16
Residential customers are all billed on a quarterly basis. Each charge is for a separate month. For example, bills mailed in January will include charges for January, February and March.
- 12. Why is there an extra bag charge on my bill?25.05.16
Whenever you exceed the number of bags allowed with your service, you will see a charge for each extra bag. If you’re unsure of how many bags you’re allowed to set out or feel you have been incorrectly charged, please contact us.
- 13. What is the bulk item charge on my bill for?25.05.16
You may see LARGE BULK ITEM CHARGE or SMALL BULK ITEM CHARGE on your invoice. These charges refer to items that don’t fit in your bags or Curby cart, such as appliances (large bulk), furniture (large bulk), microwaves (small bulk) or shop vacs (small bulk). Collection of these items is not included in your monthly charge for trash collection. If you believe this charge was made in error, please contact us.
- 14. What should I do if I can't pay my bill?08.02.16
If you find you can't pay your bill, please call our office at 517-372-2800 or 1-888-947-2643 to let us know. We will do our best to work with you to avoid a service interruption.
- 15. What forms of payment do you accept at Disposal Centers?21.07.20
Credit cards and debit cards are accepted for payment at Disposal Centers. No cash or checks are accepted.
- 16. What is the state/county/local surcharge on my bill?29.04.19
Waste generated in Michigan is subject to state, county and local surcharges. These are pass through surcharges, which means the authorizing agencies place the responsibility on companies like Granger that manage your waste to collect them and then pay them to the agency. These fees are structured differently and have a variety of purposes. As a result, Granger Waste Services assesses state, county and local surcharges on customer invoices, currently 3.0% of all invoice charges.
This charge allows Granger Waste Services to collectively recover a portion of its overall enterprise-wide costs associated with host community fees, government surcharges and ordinance fees paid to municipal or other governmental authorities or agencies to engage in the waste collection, transfer, processing, disposal, treatment and/or recycling business. The amount or percentage of the surcharge fee is not specifically tied to the direct or indirect costs to service a specific customer account, but to Granger’s overall applicable enterprise-wide governmental costs for all customers, whether they pay this charge or not.
- 17. What is the fuel surcharge on my bill?30.06.22
The fuel surcharge is a recurring fee that is a variable percentage of all invoice charges except the state/county/local surcharges. It is not a tax, surcharge or fee mandated by or remitted to, any governmental or regulatory agency. This surcharge is intended to help Granger Waste Services recover fuel costs associated with the operation of its collection, transfer, landfill and recycling services and facilities.
More information can be found here.
- 18. What additional fees can I expect to pay?09.01.23
We assess the following certain ancillary fees when applicable.
Returned Payment Fee: $30
Cart Not Returned Upon Cancellation of Service: $100
Cart Exchange Due to Customer Damage: $100
Account Reactivation after Closure for Nonpayment: $30
Cart Removal Fee upon Account Closure: $40
Overload Fee for Commercial Containers: $25 (assessed if material is at least one foot above the top of the container)
- 19. How do you create an account in the Customer Portal?03.02.23
The first time you use the Portal, you will need to set up an account using your account number and your service address. Once you have done this, you will create a username and password you will use to log in to the Portal on future visits. You will not need your account number or invoice number after the initial setup.
- 20. How do I get an account number to set up my Customer Portal account?03.02.23
You can find your account number on your last invoice. New customers who haven't yet received an invoice should refer to the welcome email they received when they signed up for service to access their account number. If you can't find your account number, contact us at [email protected] or use the chat function located in the bottom right corner of each page on our website to request your account number invoice number. (Please note, web chat is only available Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
- 1. Does Granger accept electronics for recycling?08.02.16
Electronics are not accepted in curbside recycling or at the Recycling Drop-off Center.
Commercial customers may be able to arrange for recycling of electronic items on a limited basis. Fees are based on quantity and type of items. Please contact our sales team at [email protected] for assistance.
Other resources are available to homeowners for electronics recycling, such as electronics stores and community collection days.
- 2. Do you accept phone books for recycling?08.02.16
Phone books may be placed for recycling in the mixed paper container at Wood Road Recycling Drop-off Center. Phone books can also be recycled in curbside recycling collection.
- 3. Do you accept office paper for recycling at the Wood Road Drop-off Center?08.02.16
Residential office paper is accepted in the mixed paper container at the Recycling Drop-off Center on Wood Road.
Businesses should to use the special containers for office paper in the parking lot in front of Granger Recycling Center (driveway No. 4) at 16936 Wood Road. Shredded office paper should be bagged before being placed in these containers. The containers are available Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.