We’re celebrating Garbage Man Appreciation Week by featuring Granger associates. We might not all pick up trash here at Granger, but we’re all garbage men and women.
Name: Phil Newsome
Title: Sales Representative
Work Location: Main Office, Lansing
What kind of activities do you do on a typical workday?
- Answer questions regarding what types of waste we can accept (in our containers or at the landfill or Disposal Centers)
- Take service requests from existing industrial and commercial customers
- Answer questions and quote pricing for potential customers
- Discuss special disposal projects, such as large demolition projects, contaminated soil and asbestos projects with customers
- Review analytical data for special waste materials needing approval for disposal in landfill
- Process credit applications for new customers setting up an account with our hauling division or at the landfill
- Provide pricing for bids and requests for proposals for new and existing sales opportunities
- Work with customers to design compactors for their specific needs (involves working with architects, engineers and construction management companies)
How long have you worked at Granger? 20 years
What’s your favorite part about working at Granger?
My favorite part of working at Granger is the opportunity to meet different people from all types of businesses (commercial and industrial) and help meet their needs by offering great customer service.
What do you find most interesting about this industry?
Just when you think you’ve seen it all, a customer calls with a new product or material they need to dispose of at the landfill.
What’s your favorite destination in Michigan?
My favorite destination in Michigan is the Torch Lake area. The water color on Torch Lake is phenomenal!