Happy Birthday to the World’s Greatest Mascot, Captain CurbySM!
Captain CurbySM, our loveable trash cart mascot, turns 33 today. We don’t like to brag, but when it comes to Curby, we can’t help it. We happen to think he’s the greatest mascot in the world, and here are some of our reasons:
- He looks great for 33. Now we’re not saying that 33 is old, but mascot years are like dog years. So, in mascot years, he’s over 100. But there’s no doubt that Curby has aged well. He may have had a little work done, too. In fact, in 2009 he had a full-blown makeover. His svelte new look makes him look more similar to our newer trash carts.
- Spreading joy to others is his full-time gig. Curby’s favorite thing (besides picking up trash, of course) is spending time with people, kids and adults alike. He enjoys attending parades and community events, hanging out at Cooley Law School Stadium with the Lansing Lugnuts, posing for pictures and giving out waves, handshakes, high fives and fist bumps. (Invite Captain Curby and Granger to hang out at your community event.)
- He has a driver’s license. Seriously, how many other mascots do you know who have their licenses? When Curby turned 16 in 1999, we sent out a promotional mailing to celebrate and let everyone know he was street-legal. Now, he may have his license, but that doesn’t mean we actually let him drive, so you probably won’t see Curby cruising down the street in a neighborhood near you anytime soon.
- He always celebrates in style. Curby embraces getting older and we always make a big deal out of his birthday here at Granger. Usually, that means a sugar cookie with Curby’s picture on it for every Granger associate. When Curby turned 30, we went a little bigger than that, with a catered birthday party at Granger Meadows Park for associates. That year, Curby even got billboards and his own temporary website.
- Recycling is his middle name. (Not really, but he’s a huge fan of recycling.) He may be a trash cart, but Granger recycling carts (Curby Recyclers) are his namesake as well. Curby encourages those around him to take good care of the earth and be responsible stewards of the environment.
- He has his own action figure. It’s no joke. Curby toys have been bringing joy to the hearts of youngsters (and maybe even a few adults) for years. And just like Curby himself, the Curby toy had a makeover back in 2004 to make him look more like our newer trash carts. What’s even cooler about this? We don’t sell the Curby toys, so you just have to be lucky enough to be given one, usually by one of our drivers. If you have a Curby toy, you’re part of a pretty exclusive club.
- He’s an innovator. When Curby showed up on the scene in 1983, he was the first rolling trash cart available in the area. An early promotion introducing Curby indicated he would eliminate expensive cans and wipe out scattered trash. People were pretty excited about this new way of taking out the trash.
- Other mascots want to hang out with him. And why wouldn’t they? After all, he’s a pretty friendly guy (cart). He’s been seen out and about with Sparty, Big Lug and Truckee, among others.
- He has hidden talents. Did you know that besides picking up trash, he can also make apple butter, pump iron, win carnival games, dance and limbo? Talk about a real renaissance man!
- He’s a team player. Curby’s proud to be the mascot for Granger. He’s always willing to pitch in and help out, and he enjoys interacting with his community and fellow Granger associates. It’s no wonder he’s one of our most popular associates.
Happy birthday, Curby. Here’s to many more!