CITY OF DEWITT
Granger Waste Services is proud to be the exclusive waste hauler for the City of DeWitt.
We appreciate the opportunity to provide service for your community.
- Regular cart service includes weekly collection with a cart and three additional bags outside the cart each week. Small cart service includes only what is inside the cart.
- Residential trash service is for normal household trash and does not include construction and/or remodeling debris.
- Be sure to follow waste acceptance guidelines carefully.
- Please bag all your trash before putting it in your cart. This helps ensure we can contain the trash when it’s being dumped.
- Double bag loose waste like kitty litter, animal waste, sawdust, ashes, insulation and packing peanuts.
- Please limit weight of the trash in your cart to 200 pounds or less and limit your trash bags to 30 gallons or less and 30 pounds or less.
For more information on why you have a collection day, not a collection time, read our blog post.
Disposal of one item each week that is too large to put in your cart, like furniture or appliances, is included with your service. However, you must call us at 1-888-347-9643 or complete the the bulk request form ahead of time to schedule this service.
Recycling is collected every other week using your Curby Recycler cart (with the yellow lid) or recycling tub.
- Recyclables do not need to be sorted.
- Do not bag recyclables. Put them loose in your recycling cart (Curby Recycler) or tub.
- Accepted items include cardboard; plastic bottles, tubs, jugs and containers; mixed paper; metal cans and aluminum; and boxboard. Items that are not accepted may be left. More specific recycling guidelines and a collection calendar can be found here.
Weekly yard waste collection is available to residents seasonally (April – November).
- Your service includes collection of four paper yard waste bags, four 32-gallon trash cans (contents unbagged and container marked with an X), four small bundles or a combination of four of any of these each week.
- Brush and tree trimmings should be no longer than 4′ and less than 2″ in diameter. Tie with string or twine into 12″ bundles.
- Animal waste, rocks, dirt, sod, plastic and other trash should not be mixed in with yard waste.
- Paper yard waste bags should not weigh more than 30 lbs.
- Be sure your cart and bags are not obstructed or buried by snow.
- Keep your cart out of the street to avoid any plow truck casualties.
- Make sure your cart can be closed all the way so snow and rain can’t get in. This will help keep the contents from freezing. Whenever trash is frozen to the container, we may have trouble emptying all of it.
- Remember that uncontrollable weather situations, such as steep grades that are icy or snowy, dirt roads that become very icy, lack of turnaround space due to areas not plowed, very low wind chill factor, reduced visibility due to blizzard conditions or freezing rain or closed or unplowed roads with deep snow, may affect our ability to service your account.
Occasionally, your trash won’t get picked up on your collection day. There may be a good reason for the delay, such as not being out when the truck was at your house or a holiday or weather delay, but it could be a mistake on our part.
In most cases, we won’t be able to return to your house that week, but we’ll be happy to pick up any extras on your next collection day. If you’re not sure why your collection was missed or can’t wait until the next collection, please contact us.
For more information, read our blog post.
- All residents receive a cart for trash (with a brown lid) and a cart for recycling (with a yellow lid).
- All carts are the property of Granger, but are yours to use for the duration of your service with us. That’s good news for you because it means that if your cart is damaged due to our actions or normal wear and tear, we’ll replace it.
- When you first receive your cart, you may notice that the lid does not close completely. This is a result of the way carts are stored and transported and is only temporary. The lid will return to its normal position after a few days.
For more on cart placement, see our blog post.
Just like anything else that holds trash, carts can get smelly. Please don’t ask us to replace your cart because it smells. Bagging all your trash and cleaning the cart periodically will help with odor issues.
You will be billed for your service by the City of DeWitt. Please direct all billing questions to the City at 517- 669-2441.
If the holiday falls on a weekday, services on and after the holiday will run one day behind for the remainder of the week. If the holiday falls on a weekend, there will be no delay to service.
Granger observes the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
When that happens, we will do our best to notify you by phone or email and will be happy to pick up any extras you have on your next scheduled collection day.
In very rare cases of extreme weather conditions, we may cancel service completely for the day and push collections to the following day. When this happens, we will post updates on our website and Facebook page.